This Creamy Chicken Casserole is a favorite of mine. A delicious casserole that is baked to perfection and combines a list of flavorful ingredients. Prep this recipe ahead of time to have ready after a busy weeknight!
Guess What!! This recipe and so many more are included in our Weekly Menu Planning System! Right now you can get 4 Weeks of our weekly menu plan, including more recipes just like this one, for FREE!
You’ll get access to our +PLUS Membership when you join, which means you’ll not only get access to the weekly menu plan but you’ll also be able to SWAP Recipes and CUSTOMIZE Your menu plan each week!
Click Here to Join MenuPlans.com for FREE for 4 Weeks!
This Recipe Is:
- An Easy Dinner Idea
- Perfect for Meal Prepping
- A Family Favorite
- Created in Under an Hour
- Simple Ingredients
- Full of Creamy Flavor
Meat – Boneless Chicken Breast, Cooked and Shredded. This is a perfect recipe to use chicken that you have leftover from prior meals!
Pasta – I make this with Penne Pasta. I also went for a Protein Penne for added nutrients. Whichever pasta you go with, just follow the directions on the box to fully cook your pasta.
Cheese – This recipe is full of cheese that adds delicious and creamy flavor. I used Monterrey Jack and Cheddar Cheese.
Dairy – Butter, Milk, Sour Cream
Seasoning – Red Pepper Flakes, Salt Pepper
Produce – Red Onion, Minced Garlic
Flour – Used to create the delicious and creamy sauce that coats your Pasta and Chicken
How to Create Creamy Chicken Casserole
The full recipe to this meal will be located on the recipe card found at the bottom of this post. This is a visual walk-through for readers.
Begin by pre-cooking your Chicken Breast in the oven for 1 hour at 350 F if using Uncooked Chicken or Rotisserie Chicken. When I prepared this recipe, I used leftover Chicken from a recipe made the night before, which saved so much time when creating this casserole.
Next, cook your Pasta according to the package instructions. Drain the water and return to pan. Set aside.
In a Large Skillet, combine the Butter, Onion, and Minced Garlic. Heat over High-Medium Heat for 3-4 minutes, until the Onions begin to turn translucent.
Add in the Flour and begin to stir until all of the Butter is absorbed by the Flour. It should take 1-2 minutes.
Slowly begin to add in your Milk about 1/4 Cup at a time. Whisk until combined. Continue to slowly add in Milk until all is combined.
Stir in Sour Cream, Salt, Pepper, and Red Pepper Flakes. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
Add in 1/2 of each kind of Cheese. Stir until combined. You’ll save the other half to top the casserole.
Next, stir in the cooked Chicken Breast and Pasta. Toss until everything is fully coated.
Place into a 9×13 Baking Dish and top with remaining Cheese.
Bake at 375 F. for 30 minutes or until the Cheese begins to brown.
Can I Prep this Recipe Ahead of Time?
This Casserole is wonderful for creating ahead of time and saves a lot of time in the cooking process.
Prepare the casserole according to the directions. When you get to Step 9 and have placed the pasta mixture into the baking dish and topped with cheese then cover with foil and freeze or place in the refrigerator until you are ready to baked.
It’s also a great idea to used Chicken that you have leftover, which is what I did when preparing this recipe.
More Casserole Recipes to Try!
Broccoli, Chicken, and Rice Casserole – A family friendly casserole recipe that is made in just 45 minutes and tastes amazing!
Mexican Chicken Casserole – Busy nights call for delicious recipes like this one! Loaded with cheese and all of your favorite flavors!
Easy Breakfast Casserole with Hashbrowns – A great make ahead option! An amazing breakfast dish that my kids love!
Creamy Chicken Casserole
This creamy and delicious chicken casserole is a classic favorite of mine. The melted cheese and tender pasta come together to create a mouth watering dinner!
- 1 1/2 lbs. Boneless Chicken Breast, Cooked and Shredded
- 12 oz. Penne Pasta (I used Protein Pasta)
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 Red Onion, Cut and Diced
- 2 Tbsp. Flour
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Milk
- 8 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 8 oz. Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 tsp, Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- Pre-Cook Chicken Breast in the oven covered for 1 hour at 350° F if using un-cooked chicken breast or use Rotisserie Chicken.
- Cook Pasta according to package directions, drain water and return to pan and set aside.
- In a large skillet combine the Butter, Onion and Minced Garlic and heat over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes, until the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add in the Flour and stir until all the butter is absorbed by the flour. Approximately 1 – 2 Minutes.
- Slowly add in the milk about ¼ cup at a time. Whisk until combined, then continue adding milk a little at a time until it’s all combined.
- Stir in Sour Cream, Salt, Pepper, and Red Pepper Flakes and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in ½ of each kind of cheese, saving the remaining cheese for the top of the casserole.
- Stir in cooked Chicken Breast and Pasta. Toss until everything is coated.
- Place into a greased 9x13 Baking Dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375° F. for 30 Minutes or until cheese is starting to brown.
Prepare the Casserole according to the directions. When you get to Step 9 and have placed the Pasta mixture into the baking dish and topped with cheese, cover with foil and freeze. Or, place into the refrigerator until ready to be baked.
Remove from the refrigerator or freezer and thaw completely if frozen. Bake at 375° F. for 30 minutes or until bubbly hot and the cheese is starting to brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 560Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 794mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 45g