This Parmesan Tomato Tortellini Soup is an amazing way to use tortellini from your fridge or freezer! The creamy broth is filled with tender tortellini, spinach, diced tomatoes, and more of your favorite ingredients all in one delicious and hearty bowl of soup.
This recipe and SO MANY MORE are included in our Weekly Menu Planning System! Right now, get 4 Weeks of our Weekly Menu Plan, including this recipe, for FREE!
You’ll get access to our +PLUS Membership when you join! Not only will you get access to the weekly menu plan but you will also be able to swap recipes and CUSTOMIZE your plan each week!
I just love soup! If you do too, This Parmesan Tomato Soup is such a fun one to try out! It’s loaded with creamy and cheesy flavor that’s a total comfort food for the whole family!
This Creamy Parmesan Tomato Tortellini Soup Is…
- A Cream Based Soup
- Uses Store Bought Tortellini
- Perfect for Reheating for Lunches
- Family Friendly
Dairy – Butter, Parmesan Cheese, Heavy Cream
Produce – Onion, Garlic, Spinach, Basil, Diced Tomatoes
Spices – Salt & Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes
Chicken Broth – You can also use Vegetable Broth
Cheese Tortellini – You can use either frozen or refrigerated
How to Make Cheesy Tortellini Soup
Full Directions are found on the printable recipe card located at the bottom of this post. This is a visual walk-through for readers.
Begin by adding Butter to the pot. Then, add in Onions and cook down. Mix in the Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes.
Now, add in your flour. Cook to help mix in with the liquid. This will be the Flour Roux for the sauce.
Add in the Broth, Tomatoes, and Tomato Paste and stir until combines. Pour in the Tortellini and bring to a boil.
You will boil for around 10 minutes or until the Tortellini is fully cooked.
Stir in the Shredded Parmesan Cheese, Heavy Whipping Cream, and Spices. Toss the Spinach Leaves in right before serving. This way, they will wilt away only a little.
What to Serve With the Soup
- Garlic Bread
- Bread Sticks
You can store this Creamy Parmesan Tortellini Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top on low heat. Stir often or it will burn.
Refrigerated or Dry Tortellini?
You can use either or even frozen. Just adjust the cook time as needed. Fresh Tortellini will only take around 5 minutes to cook, while dry can take between 10-12 minutes.
More Tortellini Recipes
Cheesy Baked Tortellini – A perfect easy weeknight dinner recipe! This is a family favorite!
Chicken Enchilada Tortellini Bake – Incorporates both Enchiladas AND Tortellini! Such a fun and delicious recipe!
Spinach and Tomato Tortellini Bake – A creamy cheese tortellini recipe that will win over your whole family!
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Diced Onion
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic (I like to use the jarred minced garlic)
- 1 pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 cup of Flour
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 28 oz. Can of Petit Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 12 oz. Cheese Tortellini, uncooked
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 10 oz. Spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil chopped
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook about 5-7 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook one minute. Add the flour and cook for another minute, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, tomatoes, and tortellini.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low until the tortellini is tender, or about 10 minutes.
- Add the parmesan and stir until melted. Add heavy whipping cream, salt, and pepper. Add the spinach, and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add basil. Serve immediately with garlic bread, if desired. Top with extra parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 977mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g