Queso Chicken is a cheesy Mexican inspired dish that is baked in your oven. This is a low carb chicken recipe that gives you all that Tex-Mex flare in every bite.
Boneless chicken breasts are always on hand in our fridge or freezer. So having easy ways to bake up chicken is a must-make for your family and friends.
How to Make Queso Chicken Casserole
Step 1: Start by placing your chicken in your baking dish. Make sure you spray your baking pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Now you will want to season your chicken with the taco seasoning, making sure to coat on both sides. And sprinkle on your cheese.
Step 2: Cover the chicken with chicken con queso, and top with remaining cheese and bake as directed!
Step 3: Once baked top with your favorite toppings and dive in. This is a quick and simple prep dinner you can make any night of the week.
What To Serve With Chili Con Queso Chicken
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Mexican Rice
Feel free to pair with any of your favorite low carb side dishes. Or if you are not on a low carb diet, go ahead and do a Mexican rice or even some chips and dip.
Storing Leftover Chicken
The chicken can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. You can reheat easily in the microwave or opt to cover with aluminum foil and heat in the oven.
I have loved using this recipe to meal prep for easy lunches, or even using the leftover chicken to top a salad for something fun!
Here Are More Chicken Recipes
- Cheesy Taco Bake
- Cream Cheese Chicken Chimichangas
- Crack Chicken Sliders
- Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls
Why To Make Chicken Queso
- Easy Prep
- Great for meal prepping
- Tex-Mex Flavored chicken
- 30 minute bake time
Adding Spice To Chicken
If you like a kick of flavor you have a handful of ideas. Add on some fresh sliced jalapenos, splash of hot sauce. Or even make a hot pico de gallo, hot salsa, or more.
Or if you want it mild leave it how it is. Feel free to adjust the flavor to fit what you want.
Does This Recipe Freeze Well
You can freeze this chicken leftover if you would like. The queso can tend to separate a bit. But the flavor will still be incredible!
- 2 Lbs. of Chicken Breast (about 6 pieces)
- 1 Package of Taco Seasoning
- 1 15 oz. Jar of Salsa Con Queso
- 1 Cup Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- Place chicken in a 9x13 Baking Dish that has been sprayed with Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Sprinkle Chicken with the Taco Seasoning and Pat, then Turn the Chicken over and repeat on the other side
- Sprinkle the Pepper Jack Cheese over the Chicken (Can also use Monterrey Jack if you want something less spicy)
- Cover Chicken with the Chili Con Queso
- Top with Cheddar Cheese and Bake in the oven at 375° for about 25-30 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 160°
- Top with Salsa, Diced Jalapenos or Sour Cream
Prep Ahead Instructions -
In a large, greased 9x13 Baking Dish place your Chicken Breast. Sprinkle with taco seasoning on both sides. Top with Salsa Con Queso, Pepper Jack, and Cheddar Cheese. Cover with foil and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Cooking Instructions -
Bake in the oven for 375° F for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160° F. Serve topped with Fresh Salsa, Jalapenos or Sour Cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 513Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 1000mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 59g