French Dip Sandwiches are the ULTIMATE comfort food. Tender shredded beef piled on a roll, topped with cheese and melted to cheesy perfection. Pair with a bowl of au jus for dipping and dive in!
French Dip Sandwiches
Roasts are great to buy when they are on a good sale. Use them to serve up a handful of meals. This is a great recipe to eat night two of making a roast.
Or you can just plan to make these sandwiches night one. Kids and adults love the juicy and tender beef paired with the savory au jus sauce.
How To Make
Step 1: Start getting your ingredients out and ready. Grab your slow cooker and feel free to place a liner in it for easy cleanup.
Step 2: Place all ingredients in your slow cooker, place lid, and cook for 8 hours on low. Or high for 4-5 hours.
Step 3: Once the roast is done, remove juice and place in a saute pan. You will want to bring to a bowl then drop to simmer and cook for 10 minutes. This is your au jus sauce.
Step 4: Shred your beef, and pile on the roll, top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until melted.
What To Serve With Your Sandwiches
- Cucumber and Onions
- Potato Salad
- Green Salad
This is very versatile so feel free to eat alone or pair with your favorite sides. A lot of times we reach for just chips.
So if you have leftovers, make sure to store the roast in a seperate container. I do add just a bit of juice in their to help keep the meat moist.
Then when you want to make a sandwich, assemble and then reheat. Don’t store your sandwiches pre-made in the fridge as it will sog up the bread.
Can You Freeze Leftover Roast
You can actually freeze your leftover roast. Just place in a freezer container and store for up to three months.
Thaw in the fridge the night before you plan to eat. You can freeze it with the au jus sauce or you can freeze them in different containers if you prefer.
- 2.5 lbs. beef roast
- 10.5 oz. can Beef Consomme
- 2 - 10.5 oz. cans Condensed French Onion Soup
- 6 French Sub Rolls
- 6 slices Provolone Cheese
- Place Raw Roast into your crockpot.
- Pour the Soups over the Roast and cook on low for about 8 hours or if in a hurry on high for 4 hours.
- When Roast is done, remove juice from the crockpot and place it into a saucepan.
- Boil and then turn down to simmer for about 10 minutes - this will be your Au Jus for dipping
- Remove the Roast from the crockpot and shred the meat with a fork.
- Add shredded meat and a slice of Cheese to a sandwich roll and repeat with all the rolls.
- Place rolls in a baking pan in the oven at 350 degrees and cook for about 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Place Au Jus into small bowls for dipping sandwiches.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 650Total Fat: 21.3gSaturated Fat: 9.7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 1520mgCarbohydrates: 47.6gFiber: .8gSugar: 2.6gProtein: 62.1g