Cream Cheese Chicken Chimichangas are one of my favorite Tex-Mex chicken dinner. Lots of cheese, creamy base, all rolled into flour tortillas and baked. If you are a fan of chicken chimichangas you need to try this recipe out.
Sometimes I just crave Tex-Mex style recipes, and this chicken chimichanga recipe is one I want over and over again. If you have not tried a cream cheese chimichanga before you have to give it a whirl.
How To Make
Step 1: Start by cooking your chicken and shredding it with a fork for shredded chicken.
Step 2: Now you will want to mix your Monterey jack cheese, and cream cheese together and the seasoning. Mix well and then add in your shredded chicken.
Step 3: Take your tortillas and you will place 1/8 of the chicken mixture and then roll them up like a burrito.
Place them seam side down in a baking dish that is sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes and remove it. Then brush them with butter and bake for 15 minutes as directed in the printable recipe card.
Step 4: While the chimichangas you will in a bowl add your chicken soup, green chilis, and peppers. Mix well and create a creamy sauce.
Step 5: When your chimichangas are done remove and drizzle with the sauce, top with sour cream, and green onions.
What To Serve With This Dish
- Mexican Rice
- Side Salad
- Chips and Dip
- Refried Beans
You can honestly eat these as you would like or pair with your favorite sides.
Want More Mexican Recipes
- Rotisserie Chicken Tacos | Here is a great way to use up a leftover rotisserie chicken. This is a quick and easy weeknight dinner the whole family can enjoy.
- Shrimp Tacos | Give these shrimp tacos a try, they are a wonderful shrimp recipe. Pile on your favorite taco toppings.
- Taco Pizza | Here is a fun twist between pizza and tacos. A fluffy crust with a cream sauce, meat and cheese, and other toppings.
You will want to store the leftovers in the fridge for up to three days. Anything after that I recommend you use your best judgment in terms of that.
- 1 1/2 Lbs. Chicken Breast, Cooked & Shredded
- 2 10.5 oz. Cans of Cream of Chicken Soup (I like to use the reduced sodium)
- 2 4 oz. Cans of Diced Green Chilies
- 1 Jalapeno, Seeded and Diced
- 8 oz. of Cream Cheese, Softened
- 8 oz. of Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 8 Soft Flour Tortillas
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Melted
- 4 oz. Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream (Optional for Topping)
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions (Optional for Topping)
- Pre-Cook your Chicken and shred with 2 forks. I bake mine in the oven at 350° for 45 minutes
- In a separate bowl combine Softened Cream Cheese, Monterey Jack Cheese, and the seasoning. Mix well until everything is evenly mixed and then add in the shredded chicken and stir again
- Fill each of the 8 Tortillas with 1/8 of the Chicken Mixture and roll up like a burrito (Folding in the ends, then each side
- Place seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray
- Brush each tortilla with butter and bake in the oven for 15 Minutes at 375°
- Remove from oven, turn over and brush the other side with butter then cook again for another 15 minutes at 375 degrees
- While the Chimichangas are baking the second time heat the sauce in a large skillet over medium heat
- Combine the Cream of Chicken Soup, Green Chiles, & Diced Jalapeno, mix well (Note: You can also blend this together if you prefer a smooth sauce but it's not necessary)
- When the Chimichangas come out of the over drizzle with the warm sauce, sprinkle with cheese and top with Sour Cream & Green Onions
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 698Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 1168mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 45g