Mexican Chicken Casserole is loaded with chicken, peppers, onions, corn tortillas, cheese and more. A delicious and satisfying chicken casserole you can make any night of the week.
Mexican Chicken Casserole
This chicken Mexican casserole is really easy to toss together. Pile on sour cream, guacamole, salsa, etc. Any of your favorite toppings pile on top!
Best Chicken To Use
You will want to use any chicken that is fully cooked. Diced chicken, shredded, leftover chicken, etc. The biggest thing is to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.
If you don’t have any chicken on hand, you can cook up some chicken that you dice or shred.
Topping Ideas For Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Sour Cream
- Black Olives
- Guacamole or Avocado
- Shredded Cheese
- Hot Sauce
- Red Onions
Make whatever you want to serve with your casserole. Or eat it plain if you would prefer. Let each person dress up the casserole as they would like.
How to Make Mexican Chicken Casserole
Saute | Add in your vegetables and saute to help soften them a bit. This takes just a few minutes to do. It will help bring out a lot of flavor in your casserole.
Sauce | Now work on adding the sauce ingredients to make that creamy and rich sauce for the base of your casserole. Stir in the cooked chicken at the end.
Bake | Lastly, toss your casserole in the oven to bake until the cheese is all melted. Serve up and devour!
Full recipe and directions are in the printable recipe card below.
Variations And Tips
- Rinse and drain black beans to stir in for added flavor. Or even corn.
- Leave the chicken out if you want meatless.
- Swap a variety of cheese to create a new flavor. Pepper jack would add some heat to the mixture.
- Swap chicken for cooked ground beef, ground turkey, etc.
You have so many ways you can dress up your casserole. Or make it just like in the recipe card. Either way this dish is very versatile.
Storage and Meal Prep
For storing this casserole just allow it to cool a bit from the oven, and then store in an airtight container. Then you can reheat as you would like for lunches, dinner, etc.
For meal prepping this casserole reheats really well. It is great to pack for lunches or easy grab and go dinners as well. You can freeze leftovers as well. The biggest thing is the tortillas will be softer once reheated.
How To Make This Low Carb
Skip the tortillas for a low carb option! The tortillas add flavor to the dish but it isn’t needed. You will find it is just as good.
You could pair with some cauliflower rice if you would like for a mix in flavor.
- 2 Lbs. Chicken Breast, Cooked and Diced
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 10.75 oz. Can of Cream of Celery Soup
- 10.75 oz. Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 10 oz. Can of Rotel
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 12-14 Corn Tortillas, Cut into 1" Strips
- 8 oz. Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Pre-Cook Chicken Breast in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees if using uncooked chicken breast, or Cook in a Skillet on the Stove Top until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°. Allow chicken to cool slightly and then dice into bite-size pieces.
- In a large skillet heat Olive Oil, Peppers and Onions and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the Cream of Chicken Soup, Cream of Celery Soup, Rotel, Chili Powder, & Minced Garlic and stir until well mixed. Heat for 3-5 minutes over Medium heat.
- Slowly add in Chicken and mix well.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with Non-Stick Cooking Spray and place 1/2 of the Tortilla Strips flat on the bottom of the pan, then top with 1/2 of Chicken Mixture and 1/2 of the Cheese. Repeat the layers again (Tortillas, Chicken, Cheese).
- Bake in a 375° Oven for 30 Minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and everything is heated completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 667Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 1067mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 62g