Pork carnitas are a fantastic dinner any night of the week. Grab your slow cooker and whip up a batch of these slow cooker carnitas. Pair with warm tortillas, your shredded meat, and all your favorite fixings.
Slow Cooker Carnitas
If you have a pork roast on hand you might really enjoy this recipe. It is one of my favorites to throw together in the morning and come dinner we have a fantastic family-friendly meal.
What Cut Of Pork To Use
For this recipe I used a pork shoulder. Now, you can use any other style of pork roast for this recipe. Making sure the pork has some fat on it will help to add flavor to the meat.
Can I Use Beef Roast Instead
Go right ahead and reach for a beef roast to replace the pork if you want. I have made it with either and they both are delicious.
Depending on what meat is on sale for the week depends on what I buy and use. But feel free to use pork or beef. Both taste incredible with all the seasonings and tortillas.
Will Roast Be Tender
What I love about slow cooking is you can buy a cut of meat that tends to be touch, and it becomes tender after being cooked all day long. This slow cooker recipe is so rich in flavor, easy fork shredded meat that is amazing.
No tough dry meat here! You will enjoy cooking this recipe over and over again.
Topping Ideas For Carnitas
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Diced tomatoes
- Red onions
Pile on any and all of your favorite toppings. Create a carnitas bar where you lay out all your toppings. Then let each person dress their carnitas the way they want.
If you have leftovers, just place in an airtight container in the fridge. It will store for up to three days in the fridge.
This is great leftover. Just make sure when you reheat you add a little liquid so the meat doesn’t dry out as it heats up. Then stir and pair with tortillas, rice, etc.
You can also freeze leftover pork carnitas. If you want vacuum pack, or place in a freezer bag. Then thaw and reheat as you would like. Depending on method of how you freeze the pork will depend on how long it lasts.
Want Even More Recipe Ideas
- 3 lbs. Pork Shoulder (can use Beef Roast)
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 2 Large Oranges
- 1 Lime
- 1 Cup (4 oz.) Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 8 - 8" Flour Tortillas
- 4 oz. Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 12 oz. Salsa
- 1 Whole Avocado, Diced
- Cut the Pork Shoulder into Large Chunks (this helps it cook quicker) and place in the Slow Cooker.
- Wash and Peel 4-5 Strips of Rind off the Oranges and Lime with a Vegetable Peeler before Slicing.
- Cut the Oranges and Lime in Half and Squeeze the Juice over the meat.
- Add the Chicken Broth, Seasonings, Onion and Citrus Rind Strips to the slow cooker.
- Cover and Cook on High for 8 Hours until fork tender.
- Remove meat from the Slow Cooker and Shred with 2 forks.
- Optional: Heat Meat with 2-3 Spoonfuls of the Liquid in a pan on the stove until edges are browned.
- Serve in Tortillas topped with Cheese, Lettuce, Salsa, Avocado & Your Favorite Toppings.
Prep Ahead Instructions -
In a Large Ziploc Bag combine the Pork Shoulder, Chicken Broth, Onion, Minced Garlic, Orange Rinds, Lime Rinds, Orange Juice, Lime Juice, Chili Powder, Cumin, and Oregano. Seal bag tightly and mix everything together. Store in the refrigerator until ready to cook
Cooking Instructions -
Place the contents of the bag in the bottom of your slow cooker and cook on high for 8 hours. Remove the meat and shred with 2 forks. Serve with all your favorite toppings!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 798Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 812mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 50g