Skip takeout and make this slow cooker Kung Pao Chicken for dinner tonight. Diced chicken that is smothered in a homemade sweet and savory sauce. You can add in some red pepper flakes to amp up the flavor if you would like.
Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken
If you enjoy eating Kung Pao at the restaurants you have to make it at home. The slow cooker makes it a very simple and easy process! Serve with rice or noodles and enjoy.
How to Make
Step 1: In a skillet, you will heat some oil and then season your chicken. Sear the chicken to help add a nice sear on it. This will help to add a lot of flavor to your dish.
But, you do not have to saute the chicken if you don’t want. This just adds quite a bit of flavor to your dish.
Step 2: You will mix up your homemade sauce in a bowl. Just give it a good whisk until fully combined. All the ingredients and full directions are in the printable card below.
Step 3: Pour in your chicken, stir, and cook as directed.
Step 4: Then an hour before it is time to serve add in your cornstarch and other veggies and stir and finish cooking. The cornstarch will help to thicken up the sauce.
What to Serve With Kung Pao Chicken
You can serve this with a bed of rice, fried rice, or even some noodles. Or eat it alone if you don’t want another side to pair with it.
Looking For More Chicken Recipes To Make
- Queso Chicken | Here is another great chicken recipe to whip up. A low carb dinner that is queso chicken, and baked to perfection in the oven.
- Chicken Salad with Grapes | If you love a homemade salad give this recipe a try. Tender chicken, mayo-based sauce, and grapes in every bite.
- Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls | Dive into these chicken egg rolls. A flour tortilla that is baked to perfection in the oven.
Can I Change Up the Vegetables In This Recipe
I did zucchini and peppers to go with the chicken. If you are not a fan or prefer to use up stuff you have on hand go right ahead. You will find that broccoli could be an awesome add-in veggie as well.
- 1 1/2 Lbs. Chicken Breast, Cut into 1" Pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Hoisin Sauce
- 3 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp. Minced Ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes ( 1 tsp. if you like it spicy, or leave it out all together, it's up to you!)
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Roasted Cashews
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Medium Zucchini, Diced
- 2 Cups Rice, Cooked According to Package Directions (1 Cup Uncooked)
- Optional Step: Heat Olive Oil in a skillet over Medium-High heat. Season with salt and pepper and cook until chicken is browned
- In your slow cooker combine Soy Sauce, Water, Honey, Hoisin, Minced Garlic, Minced Ginger, & Red Pepper Flakes, Mix everything together
- Add in Chicken Pieces and cook on high for 3 Hours (You may need to cook longer if you do not pre-cook your chicken)
- In a small bowl combine the 1/4 Cup Corn Starch with the 1/4 Cup Water and mix well then pour into the slow cooker
- Add in Cashews, Bell Pepper, and Zucchini to the slow cooker and cook another 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender and sauce is starting to thicken (You may need to remove the lid to let some of the water evaporate if the sauce is too thin
- Serve over Rice cooked according to package directions
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 2791mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 41g