Craving a comfort food recipe? If so grab a spoon and dive into this delicious black bean chili. Seasoned ground beef, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, and more come together for a hearty and filling chili recipe.
Top your black bean chili with a dollop of sour cream, green onions, extra cheese or anything else you find fitting. I even add on some corn chips for a nice crunch factor.
Black Bean Chili
Chili tends to be made with kidney beans or even pinto beans. But black beans really are an awesome bean to pair with the chili spices and flavor.
Why Make This Chili With Black Beans
- Simple prep
- Affordable ingredients
- Feeds a crowd
- Versatile in ingredients you use
- Kid approved
- Full of protein and fiber to fuel your body
- Great for meal prepping or freezing for later
How to Make Easy Black Bean Chili
Start by browning your beef until no longer pink in a skillet. Once cooked you can drain off the grease.
Toss in your onions, chili seasoning, corn, tomatoes and stir and cook as directed in the printable recipe card below.
Once your chili is ready, serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and even Frito chips for a crunch.
Can I Make This Chili In A Crock Pot
Want to transform this chili recipe into a crockpot version? No problem!
Start by cooking your beef the same way. Drain grease and pour into crockpot. Toss in the same ingredients as you would in the stovetop version.
Stir and cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 2-4. Add your toppings once dishes up and enjoy.
What to Serve With This Black Bean and Ground Beef Chili
- Side of cornbread
- Cinnamon Rolls
Can I Make This Chili Meatless
Go right ahead and leave out the beef if you want a meatless chili recipe. You can add in an extra can of beans as a filler if you would like.
Or simply make without adding anything extra if you want. It’s a flavorful chili with or without the meal.
Meal Prep and Storage
Chili is one item I always recommend using to meal prep. Whether you store for a meal down the week, pack for lunches, etc.
Place leftovers in the fridge or store in the freezer for up to three months. Then you can thaw overnight in the fridge and heat and serve.
I find that leftover chili always has more flavor than night one of being made!
Ways to Use Up Leftover Chili
- Frito chili pie
- Chili cheese dogs
- Chili taco salad
- Pile chili on a baked potato
There are so many ways to use up leftover chili. If you don’t want a bowl style leftover get creative!
Variations to Chili
- Leave out ground beef
- Do ground sausage instead of beef
- Add in a can of pinto beans for flavor
- Toss in some diced peppers and celery for added flavor
- Toss in a diced jalapeño to kick up the heat
- Do Rotel instead of diced tomatoes
Those are just a few ideas to help change up the flavor a bit!
More Dinner Ideas
- 1 Lb. Ground Beef, Cooked
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 1 Package of Chili Seasoning
- 15 oz. Can Whole Kernel Corn, Drained
- 2 - 15 oz. Cans of Diced Tomatoes
- 2 - 15 oz. Cans of Black Beans, Drained
- 8 oz. Cheddar Cheese
- 4 oz. Sour Cream
- 1 Bag of Fritos Corn Chips
- Pre-Cook Ground Beef in a large skillet over Medium High Heat until browned and strain off excess fat
- Combine the Ground Beef, Onion, Chili Seasoning, Whole Kernel Corn, Diced Tomatoes, and Black Beans in a Large Stock Pot
- Stir everything together and Heat over Medium High Heat for 5 minutes until boiling
- Stir well and reduce heat to a simmer for 25 minutes at a minimum, or until ready to serve
- Stir Frequently to prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Serve with Cheese, Sour Cream, and Fritos
Prep Ahead Instructions:
In a Large Ziploc Bag combine the Cooked Ground Beef, Onion, Chili Seasoning, Corn, Diced Tomatoes and Black Beans. Seal bag tightly and place in the fridge or freezer until ready to cook.
Thaw bag completely and heat in a large pan over Medium High Heat until boiling. Reduce to a simmer and cook another 20-25 minutes. Serve with Chips, Cheese, and Sour Cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 800Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 903mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 18gSugar: 10gProtein: 52g