This one dish chicken cacciatore is an Italian dish that is bursting with flavor. This is a simplified version to a classic version but with all the flavor and minimal effort on your part.
Guess What!! This recipe and so many more are included in our Weekly Menu Planning System! Right now you can get 4 Weeks of our weekly menu plan, including more recipes just like this one, for FREE!
You’ll get access to our +PLUS Membership when you join, which means you’ll not only get access to the weekly menu plan but you’ll also be able to SWAP Recipes and CUSTOMIZE Your menu plan each week!
This Chicken Cacciatore Is
- One Dish Recipe
- Simple Steps
- Pairs Great with Pasta
- Ready In About 30 Minutes
Ingredients You Will Need
- Chicken – Reach for any boneless chicken to use. I used boneless tenderloins. If you use larger pieces of chicken feel free to cut into smaller pieces for quicker cook time.
- Spices – Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Vegetables – A variety of bell peppers, onions, minced garlic.
- Tomatoes – Canned tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Pasta – This is optional, or you can do a lighter version with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
- Heavy Cream – This adds the rich and creamy texture to the dish. A must have item.
What is Chicken Cacciatore
Chicken cacciatore is an Italian dish and cacciatore translates to ‘hunter-style’. You will find that some traditional recipes would use rabbit in replace as chicken, as they hunted and cooked up a delicious dinner for the family.
How to Make One Skillet Chicken Cacciatore
This is a quick walk-through, the full directions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Cook your chicken in the skillet as directed in the recipe card below, make sure to season the chicken to lock in flavor. Once the chicken is fully cooked move to the next step.
Add in Butter, Red Bell Pepper, Yellow Bell Pepper, and the Onions. Sauté for 5-6 minutes until the onions start to turn translucent.
Add in the tomato paste and the other ingredients requested and cook to help develop the layers of flavor in the dish.
Add in the rest of the ingredients along with chicken and cook as directed. Then serve how you would like.
How to Serve Chicken Cacciatore?
Serve your chicken over a bed of rice, al dente pasta, or even potatoes. Some love to make a mashed potato and then spoon the chicken and sauce on top.
It is all about whatever you prefer to pair your chicken with.
What is the difference between chicken cacciatore and chicken parmesan?
Chicken parmesan is a breaded chicken that is then smothered in a pasta style sauce. Where chicken cacciatore is cooked in the sauce. While they both are Italian recipes, they offer different flavor.
Also try this low carb chicken parmesan if you are watching your carbs.
Store your chicken and sauce in an airtight container. The leftovers will store for a few days. Then you can reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. If you opt for stovetop reheat you might add in a little broth or heavy cream if the sauce seems too thick.
Just heat slow and low or you will burn the chicken and sauce on the stovetop.
More Recipe Ideas
- 2 Lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenderloins
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, Sliced
- 1 Red Onion, Sliced
- 6 oz. Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 2 tsp. Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 15 oz. Diced Tomatoes
- 8 oz. Tomato Sauce
- Fresh Parsley for Garnish (Optional)
- 4 oz. Parmesan Cheese for Garnish (Optional)
- 8 oz. Spaghetti Pasta, Cooked according to package directions (Optional)
- In a large skillet heat the Olive Oil and brown the Chicken over medium high heat 8-10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Season with Salt and Pepper to Taste.
- Remove the chicken from the pan. Add in Butter, Red Bell Pepper, Yellow Bell Pepper, and the Onions. Sauté for 5-6 minutes until the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add in the Tomato Paste, Minced Garlic, Italian Seasoning, Salt, Pepper, Sugar and Red Pepper Flakes. Cook another 1-2 minutes until hot. Do not let the tomato paste burn.
- Add in Heavy Cream, Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce and stir together. Add back in chicken, cover and cook another 10-15 minutes over medium-low until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Serve alone topped with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese or over Pasta that has been cooked according to the package directions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 792Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 223mgSodium: 1219mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 59g