Slow cooker chicken cacciatore requires just 7 simple ingredients. Slow simmered tender chicken smothered in tomatoes, peppers, onions, and seasonings. One incredible dinner that takes minutes to prep.
Skip the takeout and stay in. Not only is this slow cooker chicken recipe easy, but it is also budget-friendly!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Chicken cacciatore can be served over pasta, zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, white rice and more, delicious down to the last bite.
What is Chicken Cacciatore
Cacciatore means “hunter” in Italian. This chicken recipe is popular as you go out and “hunt” the vegetables to make.
Or I should say that is how they did in olden days. Many also use rabbit in terms of protein.
In today’s recipes you see chicken is the main protein.
What to Serve With Cacciatore
Pasta is one of the most popular pairings for cacciatore. You could also reach for a crisp green salad, roasted or steamed vegetables, etc.
If you want a lower carb option maybe reach for zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash or even a cauliflower.
If you have leftovers you can store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Then just reheat on stovetop or microwave.
This chicken does reheat nicely so it is great to save for packing up lunches or a quick dinner.
For freezing you can freeze the chicken. I do recommend to not freeze with pasta as the pasta will become a lot softer in texture.
Thaw the frozen chicken in the fridge then reheat. Or if you reheat from frozen do low and slow on warming up.
Freezer Friendly Chicken Cacciatore
What I love about this recipe is you can cook right away or use it as a meal prep recipe.
Throw all the ingredients in the freezer bag and then use as a freezer meal later on down the line. A dump and cook crockpot chicken recipe that’s so tasty.
Pro Tips For Chicken Cacciatore Slow Cooker Recipe
- I recommend using a boneless skinless chicken. Since you don’t sear the chicken first the skin would be kind of rubbery in texture.
- If you want you can use bone-in chicken, just know the chicken can fall apart a bit as it cooks so watch for bones.
- Feel free to double the recipe if you are serving a larger crowd.
- You can cook from fresh or fresh frozen if you meal prep.
- Feel free to adjust vegetables added to the dish. Mushrooms could be a great option.
Check Out More Recipes To Make
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Who knew it was this easy to make a delicious Chicken Cacciatore in your slow cooker?! A freezer-friendly Chicken Cacciatore recipe that is so flavorful.
- 1 Cup Sliced Onion
- 1 Cup Sliced Bell Pepper
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 - 24 ounce Jar Spaghetti Sauce
- 15 ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Lb Spaghetti Noodles
- Slice Onions & Bell Peppers into thin slices
- Place Onion, Bell Pepper, and Chicken to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 6-8 hours
- Serve over cooked noodles
Prep Ahead Instructions: Place Chicken Breasts, Onion, Bell Pepper, Spaghetti Sauce, Diced Tomatoes, and Garlic Powder in a large Ziploc Bag. Seal and place in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to cook.
To cook: Thaw and place contents in the slow cooker. Cook on High for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Serve over cooked Spaghetti Noodles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 521Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 1085mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 8gSugar: 17gProtein: 48g