Sour cream chicken enchilada skillet is a super simple skillet recipe. A creamy chicken enchilada skillet recipe that is so simple to make. A low carb dinner option, that won’t have you missing the flour tortillas.
Maybe you are craving Mexican but don’t want the extra carbs of the tortillas. This version is delicious and will satisfy your cravings in a hurry.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Skillet
This dinner is one you can make for your kids and yourself. Pile on your favorite toppings. So let’s get to cooking this delicious Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Skillet recipe today!
Main Ingredients Needed
Chicken | I used boneless chicken that you dice up for this recipe.
Creamy Base | You will use broth, sour cream, spices, almond flour and xanthan gum to thicken your cheesy base.
Green Chilis | Green chilis help add tons of flavor along with the other spices to this dish. Top with green onions and added cheese.
What to Serve With
You can serve this as a meal in one, pair with a salad, vegetables, or even salty tortilla chips if you are not watching your carbs. That would add a lot of flavor to your dish.
Topping Ideas for This Skillet Recipe
- Dollop of Sour Cream
- Green Onions
- Hot Sauce
- Crunchy tortillas
- Red Onions
- Sliced Avocado
You are more than welcome to store your leftovers in the fridge for a few days. This dish does reheat really well.
Reheat in the microwave or opt to reheat on the stove. If you do stovetop, stir often and do low heat so you don’t burn the bottom.
In terms of freezing, I do not recommend as the cheesy base would curdle and separate once it thaws from being frozen.
Can I Sub The Almond Flour
If you are not doing low carb, you can reach for all purpose flour, and cornstarch in replace of xanthan gum if you don’t have that on hand.
Just use the same amount of each. The cornstarch or xanthan gum is the way to help thicken the sauce to stick to the chicken. The flour aids in that as well.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- You can use pre-cooked chicken in replace of raw. Or use leftover rotisserie chicken if you have it.
- Feel free to swap out the variety of cheese for something different to change the flavor.
- You can use regular flour
- If your sauce doesn’t thicken to your liking add more cornstarch and water mix or xanthan gum.
- Go ahead and double the recipe if you want, just reach for a large pan to cook.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Skillet
This Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Skillet Recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes for an easy weeknight dinner recipe!
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 Tbsp. Almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Xantham Gum
- 1 - 15 oz. Can of Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Oregano
- 1 1/2 lbs. Chicken Breast, Cut into 1" Pieces
- 1 - 4 oz. Can of Green Chilis
- 1 - 16 oz. Tub of Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 1/2 Bunch of Green Onions, Diced (optional)
- In a Large Skillet heat Butter over Medium Heat until Melted
- Stir in Almond Flour and Xantham Gum (You can also use regular flour here But it won't be as low carb)
- Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the butter and flour are well mixed
- Slowly add in Chicken Broth and whisk while boiling
- Reduce to a simmer and add in Seasonings, Green Chili, and Chicken Pieces
- Cover and Cook about 15 minutes over Medium Heat until Chicken is well cooked
- Return chicken to pan and stir in Sour Cream
- Top with Cheese and Green Onions
Prep Ahead Instructions -
Pre Cut Chicken into 1" Pieces and store in an Airtight container or Ziploc bag until ready to cook. Then follow all directions in the order listed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 584Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 198mgSodium: 1079mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 48g