High protein and low carb is what you get in this simple and satisfying baked chicken fajita skillet. A simple weeknight dinner you can whip up and top with your favorite Mexican toppings.
Chicken, peppers, onions, Tex-mex seasonings, cheese all baked into one incredible fajita skillet recipe.
Why I Recommend This Recipe
- Quick Prep
- Simple Ingredients
- High Protein
- Low Carb
- Family Friendly
- Filling and Crave-worthy
- Pile on your favorite toppings and dive in
How to Make Chicken Fajita Bake
Place skillet on a burner and then add your oil, and heat over medium-high heat. Then toss in the chicken breast, and cook for 7-8 minutes.
Toss in the onions and peppers and cook an additional 5-7 minutes.
Stir in the sour cream, cream cheese, seasonings, and mix until fully melted.
Then top with shredded cheddar cheese, and bake for 25 minutes.
Top with avocado and serve with all your favorite toppings.
Variations To Fajita Skillet
- Consider adding in black beans if you are not on a low carb diet. Stir in before baking.
- Top with fresh tomatoes, black olives, etc.
- Stir in some cooked rice and bake, if you are not on the low carb diet. Or swap with cauliflower rice for a more filling dish.
- Swap chicken with ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken.
- Double the recipe if you need to serve a larger crowd.
- Add a splash of hot sauce for a spicy twist.
- Drizzle fresh lime juice over the top to bring out the flavor.
- Use a casserole pan to bake if you need to instead of an oven-safe skillet.
Fajita seasoning is made with paprika, chili powder, salt, cumin, and more. You can make your own fajita mixture or buy a packet. You will find homemade tastes a bit more fresh.
Cheddar cheese is used for fajitas, or you can buy a different kind if you prefer. Or skip the cheese.
Drizzling fresh lime juice over the cooked fajitas is going to help bring out spices, flavors and more in your dish. You can test it out and see if you like the mix of lime. Or skip it. We personally love lime on our fajitas.
Refried beans, rice, and more are great sides to go with chicken fajitas. Or do a green salad, or avocado salad.
More Dinner Ideas
- 2 Lbs. Chicken Breast, Cut into 1" Pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Red or Yellow Bell Peppers, Sliced
- 1 Large Purple Onion, Sliced
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 8 oz. Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1 Avocado, Sliced
- In a large skillet saute the Olive Oil and Chicken Breast over Medium-High Heat 7-8 Minutes
- Add in Onions and Peppers and saute another 5-7 minutes
- Stir in Sour Cream, Cream Cheese, and all of the seasonings, stir until melted
- Top with Cheddar Cheese and Bake in the oven at 375 Degrees for 25 Minutes
- Top with sliced Avocado and serve while still hot
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 686Total Fat: 49.1gSaturated Fat: 23.3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 195mgSodium: 849mgCarbohydrates: 15.1gFiber: 4.4gSugar: 5gProtein: 47.5g