Monterey Chicken Foil Packets are a chicken, bacon, and cheesy foil packet you can toss on the grill and cook up or even toss in the oven. Potatoes, chicken, smothered in a homemade sauce and cooked to perfection.
Monterey Chicken Foil Packets
I love foil packet recipes cause they are literally so easy. Prep, toss in foil, wrap and toss on grill when you are ready. A simple, single serve dinner the whole family can enjoy.
Can I Make These Foil Packets In Advance
Prep your foil packets in the morning and toss in the fridge. I just place them in a pan so that if any juice leaks it doesn’t make a mess in the fridge.
Then when you get home, remove from fridge and toss right on the grill and cook them up. Or you can cook in the oven if you do not have a grill.
Can I Use Bone In Chicken Instead of Boneless
I used boneless chicken in this recipe. But if you wanted bone-in I would say a smaller sized drumstick would work. You would of course need to adjust the cook time to ensure the meat is fully cooked.
The temperature needs to read 165 degrees for the internal temperature of the chicken. Bone-in chicken will take longer to cook on the grill. But if you reach for a smaller piece of chicken I think it could work.
Too large you will find it provides an uneven cook time.
What Is The Best Cheese To Use In This Chicken Recipe
I use the sliced sharp cheese for this. I find it pairs amazing with the bbq based sauce. Now, if you prefer pepper jack cheese or even a lighter flavor go for provolone or mozzarella.
I bought the off the block sliced cheese so it melts down nicely. You can also slice your own cheese to add on top or use shredded cheese you slice yourself.
Can I Leave The Bacon Off This Recipe
Not a fan of bacon? Go right ahead and skip the bacon if you would like. I love the bacon paired with the chicken and the sauce. You can also make some with bacon and others without.
Looking for More Grill Recipes
- 2 Lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Barbecue Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Lb. Small Yukon Gold Potatoes, Sliced
- 6 Slices of Cheddar Cheese
- 6 oz. Bacon, Cooked and Diced
- 1 Bunch Green Onions, Chopped (Optional)
- In a large Ziploc bag combine Olive Oil, Barbecue Sauce, Honey, Balsamic, Salt, and Pepper
- Cut chicken breasts into 6 pieces and place the Chicken in the bag and mix everything together well, set chicken aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight
- Cut 6 Pieces of heavy duty foil to about 12" x 12" (You may need to layers if using regular foil
- In the center of each square of foil place 1/6 of the potato slices
- Place one chicken piece on top of each set of potatoes and cover with another piece of foil, then seal tightly
- Grill Foil Packs over high heat for 25-30 Minutes until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°
- Remove foil packs from the oven. Cut open across the top and top chicken with 1 slice of cheese, bacon crumbles and green onions
- Return to oven or the grill to melt the cheese if desired (Optional)
Optional Cooking Method: You can also bake the foil packets in the oven at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 742Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 1652mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 65g