Tuscan Chicken Mac and Cheese is a one pot wonder. Tender chicken, cheesy Tuscan macaroni and cheese. This Tuscan inspired dish is bursting with flavor, and is kid-approved.
If you want more easy dinner ideas to add into your weekly rotation, check these out. Easy chicken parmesan casserole, slow cooker kung pao chicken, Mongolian steak skewers, or even this crockpot chicken parmesan.
Tuscan Chicken Mac & Cheese
Tuscan chicken mac and cheese is one of my family’s favorites. The sun dried tomatoes, spinach leaves, and varieties paired with the cheese blend just works so well together.
How to Make
Full directions and measurements are in the printable recipe card below.
Start by seasoning and cooking your chicken breasts in a skillet on the stove. I share all the seasonings and steps below. You want to ensure your chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature before removing from the pan.
Now you will remove chicken and begin working on the creamy sauce base for your macaroni and cheese. I used the same skillet.
Then once your sauce develops, add in your dry pasta. You will cook your pasta in the sauce until it is fully cooked.
Stir in your spinach, and top with chicken and serve up an incredible dinner.
Can I Swap Cheese Blends Out In This Recipe
You can swap out the varieties of cheese you use. I wanted to use milder flavored cheese so that the other ingredients kind of stood out. Since this is Tuscan inspired, you wouldn’t want to reach for a classic sharp cheese.
Feel free to experiment and find the perfect blend of cheese that you feel would be a good fit.
Go right ahead and store your pasta in a sealed container in the fridge for up to three days. You can add the chicken in with it, or store that seperately.
This pasta taste great reheated. You will find it thickens up even more as it sets overnight. So if you go to warm it up on the skillet on the stove feel free to add a splash of milk or broth to help thin it out and make it creamier in texture again.
Could I Use Kale Instead of Spinach
Go right ahead and swap kale in and skip the spinach if you feel fit. They would be a good swap, and you will still get that rich and hearty dish that brings comfort in every single bite.
Does This Dish Freeze Well
Unfortunately due to all the dairy in this recipe you will find it does not freeze well. The pasta and the sauce will separate a bit as the cheesy mixture thaws.
This is best to toss if you don’t eat it fast enough. Feel free to cut down the size of the recipe to make only what you plan to eat.
Want More Great Recipes
- 1 1/2 Lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 5 oz. Sun Dried Tomatoes, Drained
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Cups Half and Half
- 2 Cups Fresh Spinach
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 1/2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
- Heat Olive Oil in a Large Skillet over Medium-High Heat. Sprinkle Chicken with Salt, Pepper, and Paprika and grill until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° (Approx. 10-12 minutes, or until it's no longer pink in the middle). Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan cook the butter, onion, minced garlic, and sun dried tomatoes for 3-4 minutes until the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add in Flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until well mixed.
- Slowly add in Chicken Broth, Half & Half, and Italian Seasoning and stir frequently.
- Bring the mixture to a slow boil and then reduce to a simmer and add in the macaroni noodles. Cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Add in spinach and stir until wilted, then remove from heat and add in the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with sliced chicken breast on top or dice chicken into pieces and mix into the macaroni mixture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 704Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 197mgSodium: 1463mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 16gProtein: 58g